Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Miscellany...

WISC-TV in Madison has launched a collection of web pages for local Dane County communities, including one for Monona and Cottage Grove at http://mononagrove.channel3000.com/.  The page includes news and coverage of local events as well as words of "wisdom" from local bloggers such as Doug Wood, and occasionally yours truly.  I've learned a thing or two about events around town already from this site (a Croquette tournament! I've got to make that next year!) I've added it to my favorites, right under the Herald-Independent.
-------------------------
Its not the kind of publicity I like to call attention to, but in case you missed this news item over the holiday, there has been a conviction related to some of the racial incidents that occurred a few years ago.  This obviously isn't an end or reason to relax our vigilence in the schools, but I hope it reflects an increasing societal intolerance for like behaviour.
-------------------------
Lastly, I'm having a hard time getting over this story in the NY Times about manufacturers struggling to find qualified workers even in the current economy.  I've had this experience myself in the past.  In each case I've hired someone I was dependent on the product of a public education system.  But all too often it wasn't a US public education. The wealth of our society is solely dependent on our collective skills and knowledge, and our schools can't fail to deliver.

No comments: