Friday, May 22, 2009

Ad Hoc responses

I've received 28 emails in the last two weeks related to the option presented by the "Ad Hoc Grade Configuration" Committee. I apologize for not responding individually to each missive, I do read all emails I receive and do appreciate the input in all cases. So thanks to everyone who has weighed in.

I would summarize the correspondence I have received thusly: Most of the respondents oppose busing elementary students out of their communities due to factors of cost, bus time, and the desire to keep the younger kids closer to home. Most feel that managing the population and CG and TP through the addition of modular units is the most practical option. Many (although a smaller number) expressed an interest in the cost savings associated with consolidating Maywood and Winnequah. A few people expressed support for the option of keeping K-8 in their home communities or moving all 6th graders to GDS. Two people expressed a desire to use this as an opportunity to reduce class sizes in the lowest grades. I would say this breakdown reasonably reflects most of the comments we heard at the public meeting held last Sunday.


Not being a member of the committee I have avoided commenting on these topics here out of a desire to be respectful of the committee's work and the process. I will have my turn to comment and consider the recommendations next month when the committee reports to the board.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say leave it alone at this point and do nothing-the referendum that was supported by the district. At that time, it was clear that this was going to be a problem and eeveryone looked the other way-I say look the other way./