Saturday, November 28, 2009

spam be-gone

I've been receiving (and deleting) a lot of "comment spam" on my older posts. Comment spam are unrelated comments that list website url's in an attempt to improve search engine rankings. So I have turned on comment moderation for anything older than 30 days. You are still welcome to comment on older posts, you will just have to wait until I get around to approving the comment before it appears. It is rare for me to receive real comments on old posts, so I don't think it is a problem.

Again the rules for comments here:

1) Keep it civil.
2) Don't speak for anyone else or assign motivations to others.
3) No unsupported accusations.

#2 is the rule most frequently violated. I want to hear what you think, and I believe a free exchange of views in a public forum is important to our communities.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you. I have noticed a lot of mudslinging at Monona public officials lately...some that I know to be rather untrue.

Peter Sobol said...

It is only the old posts that have moderation, but if you see a post you think is unfair please let me know. My board email is the best bet (which I won't post here to limit the spam).

Anonymous said...

Isn't your board email for board business?

Anonymous said...

And subject to open records law? And funded by the district?

Peter Sobol said...

I used to use a personal address for correspondence related to this blog, but some of my colleagues on the board expressed concern that such correspondence might be subject to the open records law, so I changed my practice - by using my board email address it is automatically archived in such a way as to be in compliance with the law and avoids conflating personal with public emails on an other accounts. I would prefer to use a private account, but this is precisely the reason we have board accounts: to provide us with an avenue for communication with the public that is in compliance with the open records law.

I suggest use of my board email even when you aren't sure whether it is a public or private message out of an abundance of caution concerning compliance with the law! When I receive anything remotely related to board business on my private email address I automatically forward it to my board address to make sure I am in compliance.