Thursday, August 13, 2009

This and that-

For the most part minor business was before the board last night. Although the district goals came up we only had limited discussion about them.

A proposed policy to establish a fund balance goal was tabled to give board members time to think about my proposal to add a few teeth to it. The district fund balance has been running between 15 and 20%. We are advised that keeping it above 15% or so reduces our short term borrowing needs and our cost of borrowing, however there is always a temptation to raid the fund balance in a financial pinch.

We did approve a transportation agreement with Kid's Safari where the district will provide afternoon bus service and charge actual costs (~$6300) back to Kid's Safari. I think this is a reasonable solution that leverages the district's ability to provide lower cost transportation in the public interest. I suggested this solution several month ago when the issue first came up.

The board also approved Paul Brost's proposed language for the student handbook concerning an after school tutoring program in the high school. His plan would be to make staff available after school for 2 hours twice a week. This would be available to all students, but some students could be assigned to the program based on academic factors. I like the individual attention this program would provide to students in need, unfortunately this program is not funded at this time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update.
I would like to know are you a pretend pie maker OR a REAL ONE!

Anonymous said...

Any chance the HS might consider volunteer help for that tutoring program? I know it's hard to stay staffed based on volunteers, but we have a lot of retired folks in this community who would help, I bet. They just need to be asked.

Anonymous said...

I am guessing that Peter uses Crisco.

Peter Sobol said...

>>I am guessing that Peter uses Crisco.

Them's fighting words!

Anonymous said...

so-now u have to answer the question CRISCO, Store boughten OR BUTTER AND LARD, BABY.

Come on, we want to know and how do I get one of those pie kits OR do I just go to walmart and look for forzen pie crust and throw it in a tin.....like some people.
thanks-

Peter Sobol said...

I was going to refer you to the 2008 Monona Pie Party cookbook, but after looking through it I find that the dough recipe I use was omitted! Guess you will have to wait for the 2009 Pie Party cookbook to learn the answer to the question.

For a baker's kit, send an email to seanjindrich@yahoo.com. He just picked up the last patch from our living room, so I know he has a few to give out!