Thursday, March 22, 2007

Door-to-Door

It has been pointed out in the Herald Independant that some of the literature I use door-to-door in Monona and CG is different between the two communities. The first thing I have to say is that it’s nice to see someone is actually reading my literature! Yes this is a difference, but the reason is simple – that each piece tries to answer with limited resources the different questions I have received from each community.

Weeks ago (when it was still bitterly cold!), I started going door-to-door in both CG and Monona and talking with residents who didn’t yet know me. Many of you have taken the opportunity to ask me questions and discuss your concerns about the school district. But in each community I often get different questions – In addition to concerns about costs and achievement, CG voters frequently ask me why they should support someone from Monona. As a Monona resident I am asked to establish my credentials as someone who will look out for the interests of the district as a whole. The literature I hand out in CG responds directly to this question. Being better known in Monona, and as a resident, my resources are better used here by directly answering questions on other issues such as achievement, costs and leadership.
There is of course one more big thing driving the difference in literature. With no other contested elections in Cottage Grove candidates for other offices are not out to remind voters of the importance of the upcoming elections. The flyer I hand out in CG does stress the importance that a vote on April 3rd will have. In Monona, with a hotly contested city council race, that point is not necessary – and I use the space for other issues.

The literature in question I only use when going door-to-door myself, because it helps answer questions I get in person. With a very few exceptions, if you have received a piece before 3/22 – then it was because I personally stopped at your home to give you a chance to meet me and ask questions. My other pieces of literature – including my longer “On The Issues” document (also available at //petersobol.blogspot.com) and pieces distributed by the volunteers (to whom I am eternally grateful), are identical regardless of where they are distributed.

Lastly I stand behind all the statments I have made in all my pieces of literature - they represent me as truly as I can make them. Like my critics, I urge you to consider my actions before voting April 3rd.

No comments: